Tuesday 24 January 2012

New Evidence on Use of Pop

Okay, I know I said I’d leave “pop” alone and move on to other examples of English abusage, but . . .

I was “popped” twice in HSBC today, as: 

“You’ve popped the amount in the wrong box . . .” and “after altering, just pop your initials next to it.”  Added to the minimum of six at Specsavers last week: “Pop your lenses out”; “pop your coat on there”; “pop yourself into the chair” and then “pop your lenses back in” (the four I remember) I seem to be encountering a lot more unnecessary popping.  

This is not the reason I am returning to the example.  I am back here because I think I have worked out why. 


In almost every example noted, “pop” was part of an instruction and its use took the edge off each command.  “Sit down”, “put your coat on there”; “take out your lenses” all sound peremptory, may not be to a customer’s liking and could lead to sarcastic responses such as “pretty please” or similar.  


“Pop” is a politeness.  It soothes, eases and avoids the causing of offence or tension in encounters between product/service providers and customers.

That is all well and good, but what on earth is wrong with a simple “please”?

I suggest that the rise of “pop” has taken place at the expense of “please”, one of the two words I was brought up to use more than any other.  For those who don’t know, the second – almost always used soon after “please” – was “thank you”.

Now I have a theory to test, I am encouraged to apply for a research grant.  

At last, a proper, measurable goal.   


          

2 comments:

  1. Sam and Joe have been doing research for you and Sam was popped twice yesterday and today Joe's teacher 'stole' his chair and told him to 'pop himself onto the carpet'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised Stephen Fry hasn't lambasted the practise on "QI". I mean, popping children is unacceptable. Wait until I'm a guest.

    ReplyDelete